Fri, 19 Aug 1994 23:18:20 -0500
A subscriber, Mary Doe, set her subscription nomail while on vacation.
When she returned she sent in a command to reset to Digest (she sent
me a copy and it seemed fine).  The problem was she started getting
two copies of the Digest, where before she got only one.  She realized
she must have two subscriptions and asked me to deal with the extra one.

I checked, and she did have two subs, one BITNET and one Internet.
I thought it odd that one set digest command would effect both
subscriptions, but figured she hadn't given me all the facts, so sent
in a delete for the BITNET subscription, which is what she requested.

Before going further, here are addresses that reflect the situation:

mdoe@lttlcllg

I sent in a delete for  mdoe@lttlcllg   (no wildcards)

Both of her subscriptions were promptly deleted, which is not what I
expected.  I then sent in an add for  [log in to unmask]  , worrying
that it would create both the old subscriptions again rather than just
the one wanted, but it didn't.  She now has just one subscription with
the address she wants.

I assume she had the old BITNET subscription, it was set nomail, she got
a new Internet subscription which she set nomail for vacation.  Then, when
she returned and sent in set digest, it worked on both subscriptions.
I now believe her account of sending only one set digest command and
that it was from her Internet address. In theory as I understand it,
it should have effected only the Internet subscription.

As I said, both subscriptions were deleted when I sent in a delete
specifying the BITNET subscription with no mention of the Internet one
and no wildcards were used.

I have never seen this happen before.  Anyone have any ideas?
  (The list is at UBVM, running 1.8a)

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner