Jeffrey Boulier <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 6 Jul 1997 19:20:59 -0400
Your AOL subscribers are also not going to get mail from your LISTSERV if:

1) Your LISTSERV computer is on BITNET

2) Mail sent out through the LISTSERV is pointing to YOURCOMPUTER.BITNET,
or has "source routing" pointing to a BITNET address.  [Note that this is
different from the old source route problem that everyone was yelling at
AOL about a while back.]

Having sufficiently muddied the waters, here's what I think is happening:

When AOL's mail servers receive a mail message, they check to see if the
originator is a valid Internet address. This is by way of an attempt to
block forged "spam" mail targeting AOL users.

Unfortunatly, if the computer your LISTSERV resides on is announcing
itself as WHATEVER.BITNET, AOL's Internet lookup fails (because you're on
BITNET, not the Internet. Duh.) So AOL rejects your mail.

Now, this doesn't always happen. In our case, this just applies to mail
generated on GWUVM.BITNET. Mail from somewhere else, passed through
GWUVM's LISTSERV works just fine.

Also in our case, GWUVM seems to be sort of inconsistent on whether it is
calling itself GWUVM.GWU.EDU or GWUVM.BITNET, anyway. Not that this really
matters, 'cause we're putting the poor thing out of its misery in August,
but it's sort of annoying.

                                --Jeff B.

--
LISTSERV / SAS / Solaris / VM - GWU Computer & Information Resource Center
Currently hiring: Help-Desk, Multimedia, Networking, Unix. DC area.