Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 20:30:41 -0500
At 03:58 PM 3/29/97 -0800, Hilander wrote:
>I have a listowner with an AOL address who is having problems issuing
>commands to listserv.  She can do most commands no problem but whenever she
>tries to PUT something (like replace the header or replace the welcome file)
>she gets a bunch of error messages back.  I've never used AOL and don't have
>a clue as to how it works, she tells me that AOL won't allow her to leave
>the subject line blank.
>Can someone tell me what she should put as the subject line when she is
>trying to PUT something?  Should the subject line be the command?  Should
>the subject line be the command *and* the first line of the message be the
>command too?
>She has tried making the subject line the command and included the PW and
>she got a message back saying that the command she was trying to do required
>a PW and she'd have to include it (but it was already there).  ???
>
>Tea

LISTSERV will ignore the subject line, whether it's blank or whether it
has something in it.  So your friend should put any old thing there
to keep AOL happy.  I usually put the command as the subject and Bcc myself,
then stick the Bcc into a folder, just so I can have a "history" of what I
did, but it's not a requirement.

The PW=xxxxxxxx goes on the PUT command.  It should have already been there
as the result of a GET, and she should just replace the xxxxxxxx with the
actual password.  Note this must be in the *FIRST* line of the message body.

Since you don't include examples, I'd even guess that maybe she put the
password there but left off the "PW=" part.

Hope that helps,
Stan