Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:51:59 -0600
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:36:25 -0400, Gabe Goldberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm subscribed
>to other lists hosted at this site but not the list owner. How can names
>be added to subscriber records for a list? I'd like to do it for myself,
>then request that subscribers do it.
>
><idea>

That's the way to do it.  Re-Subscribe (but with the EXACT same email address)
;-)

>OK, I did it via Subscribe command, that's what I'll ask subscribers to
>do. But if LISTSERV knows my name for sending me email, why doesn't it
>plug my name into list subscriber records?

A 'NAME' is kept in 2 places (at least).

1.  A full_name is associated with the list Subcription Record.  This is
stored in the *.LIST file on the server.

2.  A full_name is also stored with your email address in the SIGNUP.* files.
This is where you 'full_name' is stored by the REGISTER command.

If you send an email to a list w/o your full_name (email address only) then
LISTSERV will look first in the *.LIST file and then in the SIGNUP.* files to
find and add the Full_Name.

If you subscribe to a new list on the server, and send only your email
address, LISTSERV will look in the SIGNUP.* files and add the Full_name from
there to the List Subscription Record.

If you are already subscribed to a list but with (no name available) then
LISTSERV will not automatically 'lookup' your name from the SIGNUP.* files
unless you Re-Subscribe.

Clear as mud?  ;-)