Mentor Cana <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 17:22:44 -0500
On Tue, 14 Nov 1995, Melvin Klassen wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 1995 10:47:00 EST "linda -i didn't think this through"
>
> Either they've been spoofing "last update" dates,
> or they've been collecting E-mail IDs for almost two years, e.g.,

 Personally I think they are using few different methods to collect the
 e-mail addresses:

 1) Using the locator service at MIT which searches the USENET in some way

 2) By subscription to different mailing lists. On my two lists (AlbaNews and
    ALBANIAN) they could not obtain the lists of subscribers (only the
    owners can). So, it seems they register pple in their database when
    the subscriber posts to the list, or accordingly update the date in their
    database for the existing e-mail addresses in their database.

 3) some other method

 But, for all of the above ways, somehow they are getting the data about the
 provider (employer, institution, etc..) from another source. For my old
 school and the current one they have full postal address, and I have not
 supplied it anywhere.

>  Last update: 08/01/95    E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>  Last update: 11/02/95    E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>  Last update: 11/09/95    E-mail: KLASSEN@UVVM

 My current address was last updated yesterday after I send e-mail to my
 lists ( i beleive).

sincerely,
Mentor