Fri, 23 Feb 2001 18:30:51 -0500
On: Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 03:45:27PM -0500,Paul E. Prusakowski Wrote:

} I am having a strange problem with a looping e-mail.  The mail is not
} looping through all the entire list subscription, but just into my box
} apparently.  I have removed the subscriber that generated the original
} message, as well as an individual in Germany whose information showed up in
} the extended header information.  I am still recieving copies of the message
} every 5-10 minutes.  I contacted a few other subscribers, and they are not
} getting copies of this message.

Paul,  this is a typical case of a mail item that is "stuck".  Node A
sends it to node B.  One of 3 things is happening:

1) Node B receives it from A but doesn't properly ack it to A.
A thinks it wasn't sent and reques for a later retry while B sends it
on to you.

2) Node B receives it from A but A misses the ack.  A thinks it wasn't
sent and reques for a later retry while B sends it on to you.

3) A gets the ack OK, but fails to delete it from its queue,  so A finds
it again and resends it to B.

You have to look at the full headers of several messages.  Reading from
the last "Received:" header and working up.  they will be identical,
and then will differ (usually in the time).  B is the first one with
different times.

Contact the admins/postmasters of A & B (which may be within your
system).

--
Rich Greenberg   Work:  Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com   +1 770-563-6656
N6LRT   Marietta, GA, USA   Play: richgr atsign panix.com     +1 770-321-6507