"Steve Traugott [UUs-L]" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 19 Jul 1992 19:15:58 EDT
Robert Holder <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Hi, I am a system administrator here at the
> USGS Center for Coastal Geology and we have
> plenty of unix boxes running here.  I am very
> interested in USENET but am having a little
> trouble getting info on it... how do I get
> newsfeeds?  how much disk does it take up?
> where do I get the software? (it has to be
> free...)  Is there anything comparable to
> Brendan Kehoe's "Zen and the Art of the
> Internet" specifically targeted towards
> the USENET neophyte?

With tact, a lot, many places, it is, and yes...  ;-)

Send the following message and you'll be on your way:
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Doesn't Matter

help
send index
send usenet/news.announce.newusers/index
send usenet/news.announce.newusers/What_is_Usenet?
send usenet/news.announce.newusers/How_to_become_a_USENET_site
send usenet/news.announce.newusers/USENET_Software:_History_and_Sources
quit

Good Luck!

Steve  <...who munged together a Usenet site and *then* found this stuff...>