Bill Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 20:13:21 -0500
On 22 Apr 97 16:54:14 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Sender:       LISTSERV list owners' forum <[log in to unmask]>
>From:         Gilles Frydman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: Using the Subject Header
>To:           [log in to unmask]
>
>On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Bill Harrison wrote:
>
>> I would like for my list (1.8c) to put the name of the list in the
>> subject line of my messages for sorting purposes. Is all that is
>> required is for me to set my properties to subject header or does the
>> list have to have some special setting in its header?
>>

>You need to set the default with SUBJect
>and then add a line to your header:
>
>*  Subject-Tag = Yourlistname
>
>I understand that even if the text that follows Subject-Tag is in
>lowercase, it will appear in capital letters in the subject line.
>
>Gilles Frydman

Thank you Gilles for the information. I certainly appreciate your
reply.

However, I decided to go ahead and try the header setting before I
received your reply and find that listserv WILL put the list name in
the subject line, even if you do not have a subject-tag line in the
list header.

My list has no subject tag line and it is putting in the subject line,
the list name  within  brackets, and then the subject. As so:

        [lstown-l] this posts subject.

Thank you again for your information and reply.

Bill Harrison