Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:58:27 -0600
This is a personal rant.

Computer engineers have used terms from the printing industry, without
understanding what the terms mean.

What comp. geeks call a "font" is actuallly a typeface.  For example,
Times Roman is a typeface, it is not a font.  The font of Times Roman
consists of the characters available in that typeface.  The font of
a printer who has the Times Roman typeface may not include all of the
characters in the full Times Roman font.  Some typefaces have a very
limited font, some have very extensive ones.

I have designed some typefaces myself, which are in limited use.  As I
knew a full font wasn't needed for those I didn't design an extended font.

I don't care what the computer geeks think: font is not a synonym for
typeface.

Sorry for the rant, but it drives me up the wall.

Douglas