"Ahern, Shannon" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:26:37 -0800
Thanks. My problem was not that I don't get why those bounces happen. I
said before, I get tons of stupid spam bounces every day and they don't
bother me. My problem was that I THOUGHT Listserv was doing something it
isn't doing, in terms of that Daily Error Monitoring report, which was
give me pertinent data for my actual subscribers, not a compilation of
every bounce the system saw. So obviously, since I misunderstood what it
was doing, I was confused by the results.

It would be really nice to have it actually just give me a report on the
behaviour of *subscribed* addresses. I couldn't care less about
non-subscribed addresses, since no one is allowed to post to ANY of our
lists, private or public, without being subscribed. Spoofed and spam
bounces can go right into the trash AFAIC. But if I have a real
subscribed who needs help, I'd like to know about it.

Thanks to everyone who helped me see my expectations were way off.

Shannon

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Kevin Parris
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 8:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Monitoring of non-existent accounts?

How this could be happening.... well, allow me to suggest that perhaps
this is the first time a computer used by one of your subscribers has
become infected with an email-generating virus. Your "internal,
undocumented list" is quite well 'documented' on each machine where a
subscriber has an email client installed and receives list traffic.
Others have already explained how/why entries may appear on the report,,
so I am only pointing out, a bit more bluntly, a suggestion for where
the event(s) may have originated that produced the results you're
seeing.  I would say the odds are rather high in favor of you having a
subscriber who is (or was) actively infected with NoVarg/MyDoom
recently, and they probably are, or have a buddy who is, a RoadRunner
subscriber.

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/02/04 01:57PM >>>
Sorry - I am still confused.

I understand that *bounces* and bounce errors can be from spam,
spoofed-address posts, and the like.

This was not that type of error - I get hundreds of those and ignore
them. This was from the Daily Error Monitoring Report, which I thought
was the method Listserv uses to verify *subscribed* addresses. Am I just
totally misunderstanding that?  And I have never seen this before. I am
concerned how this could even be happening for an internal, undocumented
list.

Sorry to be thick here...

Shannon