Duane Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 May 1993 09:46:00 EDT
> Many moons ago I got a message back that read
>
> Your mail file (3271) was successfully DISTRIBUTEd to list LSTOWN-L
>
> This time I got nothing so I don't know if my question
> ever got to anyone.
>
> My list is [log in to unmask]  I would really
> appreciate it if someone out there could answer a
> few questions.
>
> One is why don't I get a copy of a message I send
> to a list (any list) If I am subscribed to the list
> one would imagine I would get a copy of my own post.
Unless the answer was sent directly to this person, I am disappointed
that someone did not explain it on the list for any new list owners.
So here I am, postmaster of a soon to be terminated LISTSERV@OHSTVMA,
answering the question.

The answer is that if you are subscriber, it is assumed that you have
copy of your own posting.  Perhaps this due to the historical fact that
the VM based LISTSERV was heavily used by VMer's.   Many mail systems
on VM automatically save a copy of outgoing mail.

As a subscriber, you can change this for yourself by sending the command
SET listname REPRO
to the LISTSERV host of the list.

As a list owner, you can add the list keyword
Default_options= Repro

to your list.  The option takes affect for any new subscribers to
the list after adding the keyword.

Duane