Patrick Douglas Crispen <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Aug 1995 08:20:39 CDT
Can someone give me a good reason why *any* LISTSERV list should not
be SEND= PRIVATE?

With all the spams that have been slipping through the new spam
detector, the only safe way I have found to keep my lists spam
free is to use SEND= PRIVATE.  Of course, the spammer could always
subscribe to my list and then spam my list, but I've yet to find
a spammer who is willing to take the time to subscribe to any
of my lists just to post a spam (in fact, all of my lists are
SUBSCRIBE= OPEN,CONFIRM which adds an additional step to the
subscription process).

No anti-spam system is fool-proof, but having no anti-spam system
(eg setting your list to SEND= PUBLIC) just seems foolish to me ...
and is all but a guarantee that you are going to be spammed.

   /O O  ./      .'               PATRICK DOUGLAS CRISPEN
  {O__,   \    {                   [log in to unmask]
    / .  . )    \                THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA
    |-| '-' \    } ))    HTTP://UA1VM.UA.EDU/~CRISPEN/CRISPEN.HTML
  '---.~_ _ _&                       Warning: squirrels.