Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:47:47 -0500
At 09:29 01/22/2001 Monday, Karl Signell wrote:
>At 12:08 AM 1/22/01 -0500, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>>First, it is possible that subscriber was recently deleted, but store n'
>>forward mail (and LISTSERV) processing hasn't caught up;
>
>Same address, same error message reported 3 times at 5:09 a.m., then three
>more times at 7:35, 7:36, and 7:37.
>
>>Third, check the bounced message and examine the RECEIVED line headers --
>>sometime it will reveal a full RFC822 subscriber address
>
>Sorry, I misspoke.  Not a bounced message, but only error messages from
>LISTSERV.
>
>>Fourth, enlist the aid of the postmaster at the "bouncing" site
>
>Wouldn't the postmaster be stymied by "subscriber unknown"?

Depends on the exact nature of the error: if the mail was delivered and
returned. then hopefully not, especially if s/he has access to the MTA's
logs.  If the mail is never delivered but fails some sort of SMTP VRFY,
then you would most likely have to enlist the help of your own postmaster
(or intermediary LISTSERV-maintainer' host).

/Pete