Michael Quinion <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 26 Mar 2011 09:03:43 -0000
Hal Kenn wrote:

> From outside observation of the behavior, I believe the internal logic is
> as follows:
>
> (1) ListServ associates each confirmation (click or email) with an
> address and a confirmation number. Both must match an outstanding
> confirmation sequence. It gets the address from the email or from the Web
> login.
>
> (2) On an address change, ListServ sends the first confirmation request
> to the old address. If it gets a confirmation from the old address, it
> then sends a confirmation request to the new address.

[etc]

My own tests don't corroborate this behavior. A message is sent to the old
address explaining that confirmation is required from the new address. The
CHANGE confirmation request is sent only to the new address.

That the current behaviour is clearly a fault is confirmed by the online
response to clicking on the confirmation request. The first part is "OK"
followed by details of the request:

> OK CD78C576
> Confirming:
>> CHANGE WORLDWIDEWORDS [log in to unmask]

which is immediately followed by a notice stating that a new request is
being generated:

> A confirmation request is being mailed to your new address ([log in to unmask]).

Note the two e-mail addresses are the same. The address is the new one.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words