Gilles Frydman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 15:47:36 -0600
At 11:24 AM 8/15/97 -0400, you wrote:
>But -- the problem is, you don't really WANT to commit actual
>"censorship" -- or more to the point, as they say with politicians,
>you want the APPEARANCE of being fair, as well as to ACTUALLY
>be fair.
>
>It doesn't matter that you have a "right" as a listowner to do
>whatever you want -- the list runs much better if everybody feels
>that they understand things and that you won't behave arbitrarily.
>
>The solution is an appeals committee.  Or ombudsman committee.
>Or administrative committee.

Excuse me if you think that this post is off-topic :-)
We are currently setting up a list for a very serious medical problem.
This list will be moderated by a group of 13 moderators. We have been
discussing those issues for the last 2 weeks and are getting a better
feeling of the possible problems and the difficulties we are facing. In
fact, as there is a growing number of medically-related mailing lists on
the Net (the Internet Society estimates that close to 40% of the Net users
are, at least in part, searching for information concerning medical
conditions!), I have been thinking about creating a list for medical
mailing list owners, to discuss the ethical issues that we are facing. It
is not only the Netiquette problems we have to deal with, but also the
rules of acceptability of posts dealing with non-traditional treatments,
miracle cures, personal testimonials, etc. while allowing the free flow of
information which was, without a doubt, the major impetus for the creation
of all our lists.A very complex problem.
If anyone on this list is interested to participate in such a list, please
let me know.

Gilles Frydman
ACOR, Inc.