"Tansin A. Darcos & Company" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Oct 1993 00:30:28 -0400
From: Paul Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
-----
Carl Reimann <[log in to unmask]>, writes,
quoting  Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>

> >What worries me in fact is that the notice sounds more like
> >guidelines than like a disclaimer. [deletion] [W]hat you wanted to
> >say is that the list moderator can't be held responsible if this
> >happens, because he has no control over the subscribers.
>
> This is indeed what I'd like to say. In only a few words, if
> possible. I'm in favor of helping to lay down a few guidelines, but
> what matters to me most is simply that there's nothing I can do to
> control the use made of and destinations of posts made to the list.
> Are there sample disclaimers about that I could use? I've done a
> search for "disclaim" in the lstown-l archives, but what I pulled
> up are a lot of messages with a disclaimer at the end! ;-)

---- Cut Here ----
Notice, Advisory and Disclaimer:

  Be advised that when you subscribe to a Bitnet or in some cases, Internet
mailing list, if the list is public, unless you say otherwise, anyone on
internet can find out who subscribes to that list.  If the mailing
software makes a mistake, it may hand someone the entire list of all
subscribers even if your identity is not supposed to be disclosed.
  If you send ('post') a message (or a reply to an earlier message) to the
list's publication address, you are consenting to give your message
publicly to everyone who subscribes to it.  This may include remailing
services that "explode" a message, news group forwarders that post
messages to Usenet News Groups, archivers that store messages, and even to
processors that copy all public messages to CD-ROM.  Rumor has it the U.S.
National Security Agency has computers that monitor Internet mailing
lists and news groups looking for "suspicious messages" as well.
  By posting a message to a list, the chances are good to excellent that
your message will be stored permanently.  Readers may copy your message to
their own disk storage for reference or sites may archive messages posted
to newsgroups and mailing lists, and some sites route Internet messages to
printers or fax machines.  Some people may repost your message to a
different group even without your consent, if they think more (other)
people should see it. While under most countries laws copyright exists
from the moment of creation, assume anything you post on a news group or
mailing list will be treated as if it is in the public domain.
  The managers and operators of a list or newsgroup have no capability to
control this and by posting a message you are essentially consenting to
having your message be around potentially forever.  Be advised also that
under both major international copyright treaties (Universal and Berne)
someone may copy your message as part of theirs in order to quote it to
respond to it; this is legal, is an integral part of the culture, and there
is no right under law you can have to prevent it even if you were to
explicitly claim copyright on your message.
  Also, any claims or statements made in a message should be taken only as
the personal opinion of the writer (without regard to the organization
their messages come from) unless they explicitly declare this to be the
position of a company or organization.
  If you have something personal to say in response to someone, be
absolutely certain your message is sent only in private mail to them. You
should assume that anything you write in a public message should be
considered in the same light as if it was going to be printed on the front
page of the {International Herald Tribune}, {New York Times} or {Jerusalem
Post}.

Please Feel Free to recirculate this notice.
Paul Robinson, Tansin A. Darcos & Company <[log in to unmask]>
October 18, 1993
---- Cut Here ----

---
Note: All mail is read/responded every day.  If a message is sent to this
account, and you expect a reply, if one is not received within 24 hours,
resend your message; some systems do not send mail to MCI Mail correctly.

Paul Robinson - [log in to unmask]
Voted "Largest Polluter of the (IETF) list" by Randy Bush <[log in to unmask]>
-----
The following Automatic Fortune Cookie was selected only for this message:

These days the necessities of life cost you about three times what they
used to, and half the time they aren't even fit to drink.