"Jim Milles, SLU Law Library" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Jul 1992 12:44:00 CST
>>"Then what earthly reason is there for calling it LISTSERV??????"
>
>Because it serves lists, perhaps ?     (-:

I tried running a list under the Unix "listserv," and found no end of
problems caused by the lack of compatibility between Unix "listserv"
and Revised LISTSERV.  Both use similar commands (SUB, UNSUB/SIGNOFF,
SET, and so on) but they do different things--for instance, to change
your name on a list, you have to first UNSUB and then SUB again; a
subsequent SUB command does not replace your name on the list.
Unix "listserv" uses SET listname MAIL POSTPONE instead of
SET listname NOMAIL.  SET listname MAIL ACK/NOACK determines
whether the poster receives copies of his or her own postings.

I'm not familiar enough with trademark law to say whether Eric Thomas
has a cause of action against the authors of other "listservs"; as I
understand it, there was an earlier BITNIC LISTSERV before Eric wrote
his program, so he may not be able to claim trademark rights it the
name.  However, as a consumer, I feel that I was injured by passing
off "Unix listserv" as the network-standard LISTSERV that the vast
majority of users are familiar with.  At the very least, the authors
of "Unix listserv" should, for the protection of its users, make
clear what the differences are.

James Milles                                      (314) 658-2759
Head of Computer Services                   Fax:  (314) 658-3966
Saint Louis University Law Library       Bitnet: MILLESJG@SLUVCA
3700 Lindell Blvd.             Internet: [log in to unmask]
St. Louis, Missouri  63108