Douglas Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:01:28 -0400
At 10:26 AM 9/26/2002 -0700, Peter R. wrote:

>Douglas, You're being cryptic and piecemeal about your list's
>configuration and your exact needs.

I don't think the simply stated need for restricting e-mail mining commands
to those addresses that conform to the filter header is at all cryptic.

>We now learn you are on an intranet; what does that mean?

Intranet == "not Internet"

>i.e., does that mean that only folks with access to your intranet have
>"public" access to your
>list's archive?

It means that access to the web interface is easy to control since it is
only available inside the organization. As I said in my first message, the
web interface is not an issue. E-mail is. Were the e-mail commands tied to
the filter header, I could ensure that at the very least, none of the
archives would get sent outside of the allowed domains.

>Does that mean that "one idiot" is inside your intranet?

No -- he is on the Internet as well as a few public lists (i.e., lists that
can be subscribed to by the public).

>Who is the "general public" as distinct from the "public" NOTEBOOK of your
>list?

The general public is "the general public" (i.e., the public in general).
The "public" of the notebook is everyone for e-mail and those on our
intranet for web access.

>How are they "filtered"?

There is a header called "Filter" that protects lists from subscriptions or
posts outside of certain domains or from specific addresses.

>Why can't you simply subscribe each of the "few thousand members of the
>Judiciary" (yes, it's work validating their membership and ADDing them to
>the list, but you seem to have very stringent needs that might warrant
>such work)?

We get about 6000 new and former employees each year throughout about 390
autonomous organizations. It's hardly practical for us to track everyone's
personnel movements.

It would be far easier to "tie the filter header to mail commands" that
mine data. Since I cannot to that, I will make the lists private and endure
the continual parade of questions from people I do not know as to why the
archives they've been using for quite a while are now closed and need
subscriptions. It would be nice not to have to go through that.

-- DCP

--
Douglas Palmer                          | Voice: 718-260-2291 Fax: 718-260-2338
SystemsManager, USDC-EDNY       | rm -rf /bin/laden