Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:35:24 -0600
> I would like to configure a list so that
>
> - new members default to review
> - "old" members can post directly (set to noreview after successful post)
> - non-members have to confirm and then be reviewed by moderators
>
> The closest I can guess is
>
> Send= Editor,Hold,Non-Member,Confirm
> Editor=(listname)
> Default-options= Review
>
> I haven't tested all of the variations, but it does not cause members set
> to review to be reviewed (probably not surprising since they are editors?)
>
> Any suggestions, or am I trying to do the impossible?

This is where I stumbled a year and a half ago. This arrangement, known as
The Kludge, stopped working in LISTSERV 14.3, when the REVIEW subscriber
option was changed so it no longer took precedence over Editor status. An
explanation can be found in the archives here:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0412&L=lstown-l&T=0&F=&S=&P=5045

A discussion of the modern version (to which I converted, successfully) can
be found in a thread starting here:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0509&L=LSTOWN-L&D=0&P=13210

This method uses
  Send= Public,confirm,non-member
  Default-Options= Review
  Editor= [log in to unmask]

Just to be clear, the new members have to be set to NOREVIEW manually. But
the moderation Web pages (at least, in version 14.5) conveniently add a link
to set subscriber options, if the post came from a subscribed address.

Hal Keen