Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 29 Jun 1994 13:12:28 -0500
Natalie ([log in to unmask]) said (first quoting me):

> > other.  If the error message indicates that the account does not
> > exist ("unknown user" is often the wording) then I delete the

> "Unknown user" messages are sometimes the result of temporary glitches.

Yes, I should have mentioned this.  I occasionally get messages
that say that I'm an unknown user.  When systems forget who their
users are, they usually forget *all* of them.  So if you suddenly
get bounces for mail to all subscribers on a system, it is
probably a system fault.  It is always a good idea to wait a bit
before taking action--many problems go away.

It can be serious when this happens.  We had about 30 subscribers
on a system that used to forget its users occasionally.  With a
list running about 100 messages per day, that is 3000 error
messages.  Actually the system never went out for a full day, but
I did get socked a few times with 400-500 error messages.  It has
been fixed--I've had no problems from them in the last couple
years.

                          Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
<<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>