Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:21:27 -0400
On: Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 03:09:33PM -0500,Russ Hicks Wrote:

} Help!  I am just sick.  Apparently I didn't do enough testing...
}
} One of the lines in my bottom banner that I am just planning to install
} looks like this...
}
} ** Archives and settings: http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/stutt-l.html
}
} I click on that link and sure enough the archive page comes up.  I click on
} "Search the archives" and the archive input page comes up.  (So far, so
} good.)  Then I enter some search criteria in that page and press enter -
} and it immediately asks me for a PASSWORD!  AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!   I never
} saw this problem before because I am the owner of the list and - of course
} - I have a cookie in my computer which has all my stuff in it.  But I
} noticed this problem during a final test with a regular subscriber and the
} LAST thing I want to do is confuse my subscribers by asking them for a
} password.  If they are a subscriber to the list, they ought to be able to
} access the archives without a password.  Why does Listserv let them go
} through two screens before determining they are a subscriber?
}
} Is there anything I can do about this without endangering the security of
} the list?  I realize the necessity of asking for their email address
} because that will let Listserv know whether or not they are a subscriber or
} not.  But a password?  Isn't that a real overkill?  I can just imagine a
} flood of requests asking about the necessity of a password and the
} procedures for handling it.
}
} I would certainly appreciate any help or insight into this situation.

Well, you could make the archives public (not recommended).

What I would suggest is having the link take them to the logon page
which asks them for an email address and password first thing.
Then put in the bottom banner in addition to the link:

** Password is required.  Ask the listowner how to get one.

Then have some boilerplate ready to send them.  Here is the one I use.
Feel free to adapt part or all for your use.

You can search the archives (or get back copies of list postings) by
email (see below) or via the web.  For the web, go to:

    http://apple.ease.lsoft.com/archives/chinook-l.html

The first time, you will need to sign in with a password.  If you wish,
Listserv will save the password in a "cookie" so you don't need to enter
it next time(s). To create the password, send email to the listserv:

No mime or html, plain text ONLY.  No signature.  No subject.  In the body:

    PW ADD the_password_you_would_like_to_use

Listserv will ask you to confirm this (to make sure someone else didn't
forge the request). It may take from seconds up to a day or two.

This password is good for all lists on the apple server.

For email searches of the archives:
Send to the listserv, [log in to unmask]
No mime, plain text ONLY.  No signature.  No subject.  In the body:

 search 'keyword' in chinook-l [since yy/mm/dd]
                               [until yy/mm/dd]
                               [where sender is userid@node]
                               [where sender contains 'keyword']
                               [where subject contains 'keyword']

'keyword' can be an asterick for "all posts".
'keyword' can be 2 or more words.
You can use since, until, and either form of where together.

If the resulting line is too long, you can use // ..... , to
indicate that the line wraps i.e.

// Search * in Chinook-L from 94/01/01 until 99/01/01 where subject ,
contains 'whatever'

You will get back a list of matches and instructions on how to get the
full posts.  Only the first 100 matches will be shown.  Refine the
search to get beyond the first 100.

This barely scratches the surface of what you can do with searches.  To
get the full reference,  send (in the message body):

   INFO DATABASE

to peach.ease.lsoft.com (not apple).

To get a complete set of posts, send to the listserv:

    Index Chinook-L

You will get back a list of the archives.  To request one or more of the
files, send to the listserv:

   Get Chinook-L.LOGyymm

You can have multiple Get commands in one email.

   yy = year
   mm = month

CAUTION:  These archive files are LARGE.

--
Rich Greenberg   Work:  Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com   +1 770-563-6656
N6LRT   Marietta, GA, USA   Play: richgr atsign panix.com     +1 770-321-6507