Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 21:42:55 +0200
On   Tue,    23   Sep    1997   14:42:50    -0500   "Wayne    T.   Smith"
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>We have  LISTSERV-TCP/IP for VM  1.8c running  on CMS13 (VM2.2.0)  in XC
>mode  with 64M  virtual  storage.  It has  no  trouble  searching a  92M
>archive. Maybe the vendor can  talk about NJE/TCPIP version differences,
>but I'm under the impression that they are not (normally!) large.

There is no difference between  the two versions where database functions
are concerned. The old (VM) database  functions have a known flaw where a
lot of storage may be required  to read messages from notebook files with
a large  LRECL. The new database  functions (SEARCH command) do  not have
this problem. There are a number of minor problems in the 1.8c version of
the  new database  functions which  leads to  somewhat excessive  storage
usage for larger databases, to the point where non-XA sites may be unable
to host them even after pruning the  DCSSes. There is a fix for this, but
again this  has no  impact on  the old database  functions which  will be
phased out eventually.

  Eric