Margaret Levine Young <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 14:34:09 -0500
>It doesn't matter. They still don't read it. I still get people asking how to
>unsubscribe, what to do when you go on vacation. I have a farewell
>message that goes out and mentions that the digest option is available
>and people regularly write back saying that they'll resub with digest,
>because they didn't know it was available.

The idea of posting a FAQ and/or adding list tips in footers is not mainly
to let people know how to uns*b, switch to digest, etc. It's mainly to head
off unpleasant list blow-ups. On several of our lists, we've had
subscribers get into huge arguments, get abusive, etc. The list managers
haven't stepped in appropriately (IMHO) to stop the flamewar, and the
subscribers then claim that they didn't know what to do. The FAQ contains a
complaint process so that in case of flamewars, subscribers can find out
what to do (other that just signing off).

Margy Levine Young <[log in to unmask]>
Coauthor of "The Internet For Dummies," 5th Ed. and "Windows 98: The
Complete Reference" <http://net.gurus.com>
Looking for kids' videos? Check out <http://www.greattapes.com>