Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 23:01:59 -0400
At 11:01 AM 7/8/98 -0400, Dan Frezza wrote:
>Dear Listowners,
>
>        Recently, I have had to deal with a person with a "Yahoo" account, whose
>service appears to be very limited, in terms of storage space.  I wonder if
>others had the same problem as I:  limited storage space -- over 5k, or is
>this an error message because the sum total of all error messages exceeds a
>specified amount, that's not 5k?  Not sure I have a full understanding here.
>
>        I know some services, such as "Juno," appears to have a limited storage
>space for their subscribers, which I am not sure, but the last time I
>checked, it was something over 60k.  However, the last few days, I have been
>getting error messages from an account on "Yahoo" that has limited space of
>5k?

No, you mis-read the message.

Yahoo's quota is (I think) 3 Mbytes (you can check for sure at http://mail.yahoo.com )

>        Notice below, at the last line of the error message, that since the original
>message is over 5k in length, it gets truncated to 1k.

If you'd sent a "short" message, it would have spit it all back at you with the
error.  Since your message was "long", it truncated the quoted-back part
*in the error message* to 1K.  (This seems to me to be a reasonable treatment
rather than to always or never send back the whole message quoted, at least
in the absence of DSN implementation on both sides.)

If the user had been under quota, (s)he would have received your whole message.

BTW, the 60k you remember for Juno was (is?) a per-message limit, not a quota.

[snip]

>        Sounds like this is going to be more work for listowners in the long run if
>some of the services, such as juno.com, yahoo.com, etc.. start crunching down
>on their storage space.

I don't think there's any crunching going on; however, mail volume probably
continues to increase, and junk like HTML in mail eats up quotas much
more rapidly.

Cheers,
Stan