Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 Jun 1993 17:00:00 PDT
On Mon, 7 Jun 1993 11:53:33 -0700 <Ben.Goren@ASU> said:
>I just had a few notes posted to one of my lists about a rumour that
>there's a plan to limit access to the Internet to only a few
>government-sponsored research institutions. I *hope* I stomped on it
>quickly enough, but I figured it would be best to warn the rest of you that
>there's another one about, and that it might be a good idea to try to limit
>the damage this one does. BTW: by "stomped," I mean that I sent a note telling
>everybody to drop the whole thing, including "me too's," unless you've got
>proof positive. I suppose if it gets out of hand, holding or moderating the
>list might be appropriate.

Here's what I've collected about the "future-of-the-Internet".
(Small apology for its length (500 lines), but this *is* the place for it.)

<clip>

Newsgroups: news.newusers.questions,news.future,alt.online-service,
            alt.internet.services,comp.mail.misc
From:       [log in to unmask] (Daniel Kohn)
Subject:    How Big Is the Internet?
Date:       Mon, 7 Jun 1993 05:13:02 GMT

        Actually, my question is: How many people can send e-mail to and
receive it from a fully connected Internet site?

        I am not as naive as this question makes me sound.  I have read RFC
1296 and updated it with figures from report-9304.doc located at
ftp.nisc.sri.com.  The numbers from April say that there are 1,486,000 hosts
on the Internet.  (Read RFC 1296 if you want to haggle about the technical
difficulties and imprecisions involved in this count.)

        Now let's take an even bigger leap of faith and assume that there
are on average 10 users per host.  This figure is suggested in
report-9301.doc, but I would love a better estimate if anyone thinks they
have a good reason for one.  So, that brings us to an estimate of about 14
million people with TCP/IP access to the Internet in April 1993.
Unfortunately, that doesn't answer my question.

        The problem is, we now need to estimate the number of people with
e-mail access to any network with an e-mail gateway to the Internet.  So,
how many active subscribers does Compuserve have?  How many active AppleLink
accounts are there?  (At least we don't need to worry about Prodigy :-) But
I am looking for a serious answer.  Can anyone suggest a way to estimate the
number of people with gateway access to Internet e-mail?  Don't forget the
problem of double counting (e.g., I have Internet and AppleLink accounts).

        Lastly, how can one estimate how many of those people are in the
U.S. and how many are international?

        Please try to to keep flames to a minimum.  I realize the
impossibility of doing an exact count, so all I'm looking for is a realistic,
order-of-magnitude estimate and a defendable methodology for reaching it.
If you have a guess at how to make that estimate, please do reply.

<clip>