"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 02:25:32 -0800
Maybe it is because it is late at night, but I just noticed that reports
such as the following show a gender bias.  I don't know the gender of the
subscriber in question (anonymized for the purpose of this example), so I
don't know how LISTSERV can make an assumption.

Unfortunately, replacing "his" with "his/her" is a simple, but incomplete
solution because it doesn't take reflectors, gateways, or group/role
accounts (helpdesk, postmaster, root) into account.

At the risk of sounding impersonal, "his" could be replaced with
"its/their" (singular/plural).

Or how about "The following 1 subscriber was asked for confirmation of
subscription to the NAUSICAA list."

It is too bad that English doesn't have a gender-neutral pronoun that
can be used for people, in the way that the German "man" is used.

Just a thought.

-- Michael S. Johnson   Miyazaki Web and Mailing List Owner
   [log in to unmask]   www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/mailing-list