Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 12:30:12 -0700
On Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:55:21 -0500, Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>     We have a list that was given a list password when it was created. The
>>     owner of the list sent a mail to the list and every user received a
>>     message, along with the password. How do you change the list password?
>
>GET the mailing list and PUT it back with a new
>
>        * PW=<new password>
>
>line.
>
>Note that the password used in the
>
>        PUT <listname> PW=<password>
>
>will have to be the old password.

The above is true, and the password should be changed for security reasons.
However, under LISTSERV 1.8c and later, the use of 'List Passwords' is now
obsolete and they should no longer be used.  The CREATEPW is used by the
Site Manager to create the new list for the first time.  After that, all
PUTs should use the List Owner's Personal Password, applicable only to that
Owner.  The necessity for everyone to have their own personal password will
become widespread with the use of the WWW interface for Private lists in the
forthcoming Version 1.8d.

See the List Owners Manual, the Site Manager's Manual and the 1.8c Release
Notes at www.lsoft.com/manuals/index.html for more details on this.