Tue, 29 Sep 1998 01:08:26 -0500
>I set the list to 'Send= Owner' this morning to stop a flame war
>then I posted a ADMIN message but I don't know how to force a
>digest so that all of the digest subscribers will have received
>it before I reset the list to allow them to post again.

You want to stop a flame war and your admonitions have not worked so far.
Is that correct?  You want to issue a sort of "cool it or else" notice?
You want to ensure that as many people as possible are persuaded to read
and heed as possible?

One of the approaches I might take,if your pleas are ignored, is send a
note to the list saying it is going to full moderation, after the
distribution of the digest containing this notice. Keep it that way for at
least 24 hours, and repeat the anti-flame warning several times and let
only the most pertinent postings through.  After the digest containing
those is distributed, change back to whatever your normal set-up is and
see what you have.  If no one sees the flame stuff it is unlikely to
continue, unless you have someone really determined to cause trouble,
as long as you keep on top of the people who reply 2 - 10 days later
simply because that is how often they deal with their email.

Given LISTSERV tools, there are a lot of variations on that, tailor to
fit.  Changing everyone to DIGEST, forcing a digest, then resetting the
nonDIGEST subscribers to whatever they were before I would consider last
reort.  I'ld put the list on HOLD for a couple of days, if the problem
were that bad, before trying the digest route.  If were going to do
something like that, which I wouldn't, I'ld set everyone MAIL rather
than DIGEST.

Douglas