George Buckner <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 19:39:00 -0400
John, and others:

This subject keeps coming back up.  As someone has already pointed out,
Jim McIntosh left American some while back, and ever since then their
gateways have been dropping like flies.

Last year my lists (PSYCHE-*, ASSC-*) changed host listservs, moving
from @IRIS.RFMH.ORG to @LISTSERV.UH.EDU.  The original host had its
own gateway to Usenet, so I had to approach American about this after
the move.

>In light of the recent posts to LSTOWN-L...
>
>If you need to get in touch with someone about Listserv at American
>University, try Peter M. O'Donnell, Unix Systems Administrator (and the
>person most directly responsible for AU Listserv operations), at
><[log in to unmask]>.  He has been very helpful to me in the past.

It was Peter who answered my call for help on Usenet.  He also told me he
isn't actually the person who controls/administers gateway matters, but
he would see what he could do to help.

According to him, my list gateway should be running fine (at American),
but it isn't.  Repeated attempts to get anyone to address the issue
beyond simply saying "well it should work" have failed.

>You can also try Herschel Browne, AU's Director, Network Software
>(ultimately responsible for AU Listserv but also for lots of other
>software), at <[log in to unmask]>.

It was actually Browne I finally contacted with a letter asking him:

1) if American still handles gateways, like it says in the Listserv docs,
2) if so, could they please fix my problem.

I never heard back, but it wasn't long after that that American announced
it was getting out of the gateway business.

Even so, the problem remains: It isn't even serving the remaining lists it
still presumes to serve.

George Buckner
Owner, [log in to unmask] (a.k.a. sci.psychology.consciousness)