Mon, 4 Apr 1994 17:33:54 -0400
>ShadowRun related lists, two for story-writing, one for rules discussion,
>and one for a rules-cration project).  Since he has come on, he has been
>at the very least annoying.  Annoying I consider to be ok (although
>When I attempted to write him to ask him to curb his annoying behaviour,
>he grudingly agreed and shaped up a little.  This morning, he posted
>something along the lines of "The CIA/NSA/FBI all read your email and
>message stating that the account at the army.mil site he mailed me from
>did not exist (user unknown) and I telneted to the smtp port and
>verified.
>It is my belief that this iser will continue to be a disruptive influence
>on our lists.  He has repeatedly violated FAQ guidelines and then only
>agreed to follow them "because [I'm] the listowner".
>
>don't want to involve his aministration at this point, because i don't
>think this warrants anything but an internaal response.  I'm not sure if
>I have enough justification at this point to revoke his membership on the
>lists, and I really don't want to.  But with 500 other subscribers, many
>on pay systems, their needs must also be considered.
>
>____        Robert A. Hayden          <=> [log in to unmask]

Now.  Let me get this straight (so to speak).

This guy's been an obnox from the git-go.

He's now posting non-list related material -- loony toony fringe material,
into the bargain -- and objects to your objections.

He seems to be posting from a non-existent address.

He has "repeatedly violated FAQ guidelines".

And you believe he'll continue being a disruptive influence.  (You got that
one right, I guarantee it!)

Yet you hesitate to remove him?  More, you don't want to involve his
administration, even though he's posting from a non-existent military
account?!  (I'd think the military might like to know about this, very much
so!  Hope you kept your correspondence, plus headers.)

Frankly, I'd have gotten in touch with his postmaster about two steps ago,
and unsubbed him after one warning.  You are a patient man, Robert Hayden.

Think about it this way, then:

To whom do you owe more consideration -- the obnox, or the legitimate
listmembers, some of whom (as you say) are on pay systems?

I'd say turf the blighter and serve him out (or the equivalent) if
necessary.

But, then, perhaps I'm just feeling crankier than usual.

Rups
co-listowner
ARCANA