Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 23:06:06 GMT
On Thu, 10 Apr 1997 16:06:55 -0400, Gilles Frydman <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Specifically I would like to setup the lists to force every person issuing
>a SUB LISTXY to receive first a file containing the terms of service
>agreement.
>They would then have to respond with a prepared message: "yes I have read
>the terms and will abide by then". By answering this they will then be
>subscribed.

What you need to do is set Subscription= By_Owner

Then you need to modify the listname.MAILTPL file so that a
'questionnaire' (which can include your statement of terms and agreement)
is automatically sent out in response to a Subscription request.  When
this is returned to the Owner (defined in the header) you have 2 things.
One is you know the email address is valid (essentially the same operation
as done by the 'OK-confirm'  Second, you have a 'signed' agreement from
the subscriber, perhaps with real name/address (if you ask for same).

=====
The 'questionnaire/agreement' text goes in ADDREQ1 Template
The SUB_OWNER &LISTNAME template if for the initial msg to subscriber.
The REQACK1 template is auto reponse to mail back of survey
If Owner approves the questionnaire and ADD's subscriber, they will next
get the WELCOME file and SIGNUP$ template blurb.

=====

>>> ADDREQ1 &LISTNAME Membership Survey
.* force reply to generic &LISTNAME-request@host owner address
.RE OWNERS
.* force send this to subscriber
.TO &WHOM

.CE &LISTNAME Membership Survey

(NOTE:  Please make sure when you REPLY this msg that it goes back to
the email address &LISTNAME-Request@&MYHOST.  Also, if you are using AOL,
Compuserve, or another mail program that does NOT automatically 'quote'
the original msg when forming a Reply, that you must manually use the
mouse/cursor to 'copy' this entire msg into your reply.  Thank you!)

You have asked to join the &LISTNAME discussion list.  It is designed
mainly for ...  (describe your list purpose briefly)

(tailor below text to suit your list needs)

This is a standard survey required for all subscribers to &LISTNAME.  It
is not intended to limit membership or discussion, but instead to prevent
email SPAM, false email addresses, and unwanted commercial messages from
invading our group.  We value our privacy.

  Your Real Name:

  Your Address:

  If you do not have some affiliation with the purpose of this list,
  why do you wish to become a member of this list?

.ce --------------
Your list membership will be confirmed by the List Owner.  You will
receive a message confirming your membership shortly.  Thank you!

.fo off
.TO &WHOM
A copy of the &LISTNAME membership questionnaire is being sent to you
separately.  Please read it carefully and follow the instructions
to complete it and return it to the list owner.
.*
>>> REQACK1 Your message to &LISTNAME-request@&MYHOST
&WEEKDAY, &DATE &TIME

Your message to &LISTNAME-request@&MYHOST has been forwarded to the "list
owners" (the people who manage the &LISTNAME list). If you were
responding to the Signup Questionnaire, or if you wanted to reach a human
being, you used the correct procedure.  You can ignore the remainder of
this message and delete it.

IF you were trying to send a Command for the LISTSERV computer to
execute, please read on:

(original text from DEFAULT.MAILTPL for this template follows here)
 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]