Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 02:40:42 +0100
On Fri, 8 Nov 1996 22:15:58 -0330 W Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>OK, I admit  that the bracketed personal name no  longer occurs, and the
>order  is now  always "personal  name"  followed by  "email address"  in
>pointed brackets. But then why do  some have the personal name in double
>quotes, and others do not?

The  e-mail  standards  REQUIRE   that  personal  names  containing  some
"special" characters (including, alas, the  period) be enclosed in double
quoted. LISTSERV will strip quotes if  they are superfluous, and add them
if required.

  Eric