"David W. James" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 19:12:34 -0400
Aldo, we all see that, and it is no less annoying when you work here.  But back
when Compuserv was the biggy, it seemed like all of my bounces were due to full
mailboxes there.  And at the end of every (US) college term you get a bunch of
"No such user" from the edu sites.  Now that AOL is 4 times the size of
Compuserv, and 100 times the size of a moderate University, a lot of problems
come from there.

This is compounded by the fact that AOL (and Compuserv, but they are a lot
smaller) are marketed toward a broader segment of society than the other
contact points (.edu accounts get checked regularly, be they staff, faculty or
students, .com accounts get checked most every business day, etc...) the site
may well produce more errors proportional to its size, but I don't know that
the difference is significant.  The largest of the lists I run is exactly 9%
AOL;  I've got two AOL users who frequently don't check their mail often enough
to keep their mailboxes from filling up, and I've got a couple of compuserv
users who do the same thing. (Opps, it appears that now I only have one
subscriber from Compuserve.  Two years ago the two services were at parity, but
5-6 subscribers.

As an aside, a friend, who is postmaster at a large university, told me a few
months ago that there is only one site on the network that he can tell is
having mail problems simply by the size of his mailbox in the morning.  And
that's AOL.

Vnend