Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:00:40 -0500
On 1/10/2006 14:49, David Phillips wrote:

>I wanted to emphasize the reason we're investigating mail merge in the
>first place.
>
>If an AOL list member clicks on the 'this is spam' button (or whatever
>it is in the AOL mailer) we may end up getting blacklisted by AOL.  We
>have a feedbackloop setup with AOL where I get a copy of the reported
>message, but all identifying headers get stripped.
>
>If we use mailmerge, and put something like "You are subscribed as
>&*TO;" in the bottom banner, that To information will be in the
>message body, and I'll see the reporter's email address in the report.
> Then, I can either contact them and ask why, or just sign them off
>the list.
>
>If there's any other way to do this, I'm ready to learn.

To deal with this problem, we use the following command to enable the
FULL822 option for all AOL subscribers on the affected list.

    quiet set listname full822 for *@aol.com

For each subscriber with FULL822 enabled, LISTSERV sends a seperate message
with the subscriber's email address in the 'To:' line. If the AOL recipient
reports the message as spam, AOL will redact the recipient address from the
'To:' line and the 'Received:' headers inserted by AOL's mail servers,
however, it has been our experience that that recipient address will not be
redacted from the 'Received:' headers inserted by our mail server. Your
mileage may vary.

This solution does not require mail-merge, and allows LISTSERV to use its
normal distribution algorithms for non-FULL822 subscribers.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator