john riehl <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 May 1994 12:46:55 PDT
On Wed, 4 May 1994 07:42:41 -0500 Bob Parks said:
>I am wondering *flame on* just whose 'bright' idea it was to have
>confirmation of subscriptions? *flame off*

I do.  Flame on.  I am sick and tired of getting twenty gazillion f***ing
subscription messages from people with invalid systemnames (i.e. either
invalid bitnet or internet names) and having to put up with invalid
userids bouncing in my face, for every one of the messages sent out
to the **** people with invalid ids. With the confirmation, I only get
two bounces per subscription attempt instead of as many as a hundred.
Further, I dont have to go through the process of deleting the userid
only to have him resubscribe.

Second, at USCVM, we have had (and still have) a number of lists of
interests of groups of people that others love to harass.  Confirmation
prevents people from subscribing under an alias merely to sending
harassing mail.  Flame off.

If you choose, your lists dont have to have confirmation.  The default
is no confirmation.  Mine are STAYING.

jr
(john riehl)