"Russell N. Hathhorn, VM Systems Support" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 Mar 1992 07:40:59 PST
First of all - not all of us are on both networks, and frankly, I personally
don't see any real advantage to belonging to the INTERNET, considering the
usage levels and activities at our node.

I 'pinged' (my own version of the UNIX ping) IUBVM and found it to be behind
another IUB node, IUBGOLD whose link was down. Perhaps Mr. Papakhian should
look at his own institution for part of his mail delay problems. I frequently
have sub-minute response to/from addresses in North America, and the access
time to Europe isn't much less.

We will probably be registering an in-house domain soon to allow for expansion
of our institution's facilities, but having studied (no, I have no direct
INTERNET experience) both network designs, I definitely prefer BITNET's NJE
over its counterpart. And why should the networks be 'competing', both offer
unique services, that each institution must balance prior to committing to
one/other/both.

|   Russell N. Hathhorn                       |  Bitnet: SYSMAINT@PCCVM       |
|   VM Systems Progammer/Analyst              |  Compu$erve: 76636,1036       |
|   Portland Community College                |  Voice: (503) 244-6111 x 4705 |
|   12000 S. W. 49th Avenue                   |  Fax:   (503) 324-7010        |
|   Portland, Oregon  97219-0990              |  "     Just say NO to OCO   " |
| "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms  |
|  is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."|
|   -- Thomas Jefferson                                                       |