Thu, 4 Apr 1996 00:12:48 -0600
Peter Rausch is, of course, correct about the ethically required
notice required if you *really* edit the message before it is posted;
it shouldn't be represented as the original.

I think adding to the header, like a reply-to field for some types
of messages is ok, and maybe cutting out extraneous quoted headers from
a previously posted message.  But if you actually change, rearrange,
delete etc. any of the *original* material in the posting that should
be clearly stated and perhaps the From: field really should *not* be that
of the original poster.

I rarely edit items that have to be approved, they're approved or not.
When I do edit it is usually to add a Reply-to: field to the header.
Every once in a while I do actually edit postings, usually commercial
to make them acceptable to the list, but I tell the person I'm going
to do so.  The opportunity to object to the editing is given in
advance.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L