Paul Hyland <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Mar 1992 14:49:06 EDT
Jim Gerland wrote in February:

>This file explains how to maintain a LISTSERV filelist from a VMS machine
>that has the Jnet software installed.

followed by a detailed explanation of file list maintenance from a BITNET
connected VMS machine.  My question has to do with the possibility of
such file server maintenance from a non-BITNET remote site, say, an
Internet connected Unix system.

>(10) Once the file arrives, and the List Owner RECEIVEs it, it should be
>     editted to add the following line at the top:
>
>     PUT listname FILELIST LISTSERV (PW=personal-pw

>(11) The List Owner can then use the following command to send the filelist
>     back to LISTSERV for processing:
>
>     SEND /FILE /NETDATA listname.FILELIST LISTSERV@list-node

Question: In situations such as this, can you send the updates as mail
files, i.e. add the PUT line to the top of the file and send it as mail?
(Actually, the file would probably be received, edited, and returned as
mail.)  Similarly, would any file submission be accomplished by adding the
PUT command to the top and sending it as a mail message?

Paul Hyland
[log in to unmask]   [log in to unmask]