Jim Gerland - Network User Support <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 May 1993 15:03:04 EDT
On Tue, 4 May 1993 14:20:19 -0400 George Frajkor said:
>On two of the lists I manage, people who have tried using the "reply"
>function have found that their program picks up the headers of the
>messages of the messages they are replying to, instead of just the
>body of the message.
>      It's the first time I'v run across this.  Two people from .com
>sites were affected, so I presumed it was the fault of a
>commercial-type service like MCI .. but the last one was from an .edu
>site.

The problem is not with the site or the mail service.  Unfortunately
it is a 'user' error.  Many mail user agents place the *entire* mail
message in to the editor when a user types REPLY.  VMS Mail is one
of the wider used packages that does this.  It is up to the user to
then delete those lines.  In fact, the user should be deleting all
the unnecessary lines anyway as a matter of net-ettiquette.

So, as a matter of user education, each list owner should include
in their FAQ a notice that responses should not include extra lines
especially the header lines from the original message.

Jim Gerland  - Consultant, Network User Support           University at Buffalo
Academic Services, Computing & Information Technology     Buffalo, NY 14260
716.645.3557 Work                                         716.645.3734 FAX
[log in to unmask]                              [log in to unmask]