Roger Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 27 Jul 1993 11:48:36 -0400
I have 3 questions:

1. If a list is set for Confidential= Yes, will mail from a non-subscriber
sent to listname-request@nodename bounce back to the sender?

2.  If the answer to the above is yes, then could I fool the system by
asking my postmaster to set up a special address that would internally
forward the mail to listname-request@nodename without having a
non-subscriber bounce back?  I've got a confidential list, and what I'm
trying to do is to set up a public address which anyone can send to but
which will be forwarded to the designated owner of the confidential list.
I could ask my postmaster simply to set up a special address for me which
would forward mail to my regular address; however, I'd like to be able to
change what the forwarded-to address is at my discretion, and I wish I
wouldn't have to bother the postmaster about this whenever I might want a
change.  This address is for members of a project, and we'd like to be
able to re-direct the mail to the volunteer-of-the-month while having a
single, standard address that the public can always use.  Listserv is the
only easy means I'm aware of by which a forwarded-to-destination address
can be readily changed on one's own.  I suppose I could ask for another
list to be set up expressly for this address-pointing function, but I've
already asked for a lot of other stuff from my Listserv folks, and it may
seem a waste of time & disk space to set this up separately just to get an
address-changing utility.

3. In general, if mail is sent to listname-request@nodename, does it go
only to the first owner listed, or to all owners preceding a "Quiet:"?

Thanks for any assistance!

-- Roger Burns  [log in to unmask]