Wed, 19 Aug 1998 17:54:53 -0700
I use Subject-Tag= RARS to facilitate user's filtering. Unfortunately,
LISTSERV puts 6 spaces after the Subject:, so the subject line looks
like: Subject:      [RARS]. In searching the archives, I see this issue
came up before, but the loudest (and incorrect) voices claimed that
the mail reader was adding them, not LISTSERV. That's not the case.
LISTSERV is definitely adding the spaces; I've looked at the raw
mailbox with a text editor, and they are there. While these spaces
are RFC compliant, lots of software expects only one space, and handles
the extra spaces poorly. I get lines like "Subject: Re:      Re: [RARS]"
and even subject lines with two [RARS] in them.

Is there some way to set LISTSERV to insert only one space? If not,
is there any hope of seeing this implemented in the future?

-rex