"John W. Redelfs" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 Aug 1993 15:38:16 -0900
I know that Listserv [tm] by Eric Thomas only runs on IBM mainframes.  Can
anyone tell me how to do something similar on a VAX/VMS system using
VAX/VMS software?

Failing that, can anyone tell me how to find a Listserv [tm] host that would
be willing to help me set up a small, private list devoted to minority
politics?

Please respond by email and please forgive me the bandwidth if I have not
found the perfect forum for these questions.  I have already read Kovacs
article on setting up a Listserv and am still a bit confused.  A little
further direction would be appreciated.
Subject: Listserv-style software on VMS

Dear Steve,

        I am hoping you can help me find some information I am looking for.
I'm trying to find out how I can run a Listserv-style list on a VAX/VMS
system.  I got your name and email address by doing an archive search
of INFO-VAX on listserv@irlearn using ldbase.com.

        It was an interesting conversation you had earlier this year with
Eric Thomas, the obnoxious genius who wrote Listserv [tm].  Still, I don't
know how to do what I want to do, which is to start my own email list
on the VAX at the University of Alaska.

        I know that Listserv [tm] is available only on IBM mainframes.
What I don't know is how to find a Listserv [tm] host that will let me
run a list on their system or how to set up the equivalent on my home
system.

        Do I need to learn more about PMDF or MX?  What?  Since you were
asking some of the same questions earlier this year, I thought you may
have found some of the answers.