Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 Mar 2011 10:19:45 -0500
Sorry; I believe I accidentally sent a blank reply a moment ago. My new,
still unfamiliar email interface replaces a "Reply" button with a "Send"
one, creating a double-click hazard.

> I'm still seeing the same problem with a current update and no modified
> confirm template. Today a subscriber tried to change her address, and
> ended up in the endless confirm loop. I suggested that she try the email
> confirmation. She received a response that her command had been confirmed,
> but... her address remained unchanged. I finally change it for her.

From outside observation of the behavior, I believe the internal logic is as
follows:

(1) ListServ associates each confirmation (click or email) with an address
and a confirmation number. Both must match an outstanding confirmation
sequence. It gets the address from the email or from the Web login.

(2) On an address change, ListServ sends the first confirmation request to
the old address. If it gets a confirmation from the old address, it then
sends a confirmation request to the new address.

(3) ListServ completes the address change whenever it receives a
confirmation it associates with the new address. As long as it's sent from
the old address, or issued from a login associated with that old address, it
keeps sending the endless sequence.

(4) A confirmation associated with the new address ends the sequence. Unless
the recent update changed this, that includes answering the first
confirmation request with an email, or on the Web while logged on as, the
new address. If you can't send email from the new address, the solution is
to create a ListServ login for it and log in that way.

Clicking the confirmation link while you're still logged in from the old
address, or sending confirmation email from the old address, leaves ListServ
without the confirmation it needs to complete the change.

Hal Keen