John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 09:16:40 -0400
> Thanks, Andrew. Will "norenew" prevent automatic unsubs resulting from
> excessive bouncing, or only prevent those resulting from "failure" to
> renew?

Norenew will only prevent deletion by failing to renew their
subscription.Actually, they are just never prompted to renew. If
'Probe' is a Renewal=  option, then  Norenew will also stop passive
probing for that subscriber.

There is just no way to prevent auto-deletion (on a per subscriber
basis) for bouncing as long as a subscriber's mail server is throwing
permanent errors, which are recognized by LISTSERV®.

In the case of this Webtv user, I see the server is throwing a
permanent error for a temporary problem (mail box full). If it were
using a temporary error code, this wouldn't be happening. I see more
and more ISPs doing this these days.

Personally I like it as I would rather see them deleted if they
aren't interested enough to keep their mail box cleaned out to get
their list mail.