George Frajkor <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 23 Jun 1993 20:58:23 -0400
      first of all, I want to thank those who suggested ways for me to
delete a user whose address took up more than the usual 80 columns
that listserv expects for commands,.  I used Melvin Klassens solution
and it worked, but the others would also have worked and I am
surprised I never thought of them myself as they seem to be something
straightforward that I should already know.  Thanks.
    So now more mysteries---  this time Mailers which seem to be
attempting to mail to people who are NOT on my lists, and then giving
me error messages if the destination is no good.

     I have three users who have long been deleted from my mailing
lists, but somewhere, somehow, a mailer somewhere keeps trying to mail
to them, and is generating bounces.  I would like to know how this can
happen.  If the person is NOT on my my list, where is the downstream
mailer getting the material to attempt to send on?  Is it
maintaining an independent copy of the list and not using mine?? Or
not accepting updates??
    This has happened on three different lists.. One I have solved.
Two are a mystery still.  Let me go through them and try to explain:

1)     CERFnet was bouncing back mail addressed to user 'may1' who is
not on my list at all.  In fact no one from CERF was on the list.
   With sufficient probing, I found that the user
was really registered under a totally different name on SDSC.Edu -- I
have now deleted that user and pray for no more bounces from CERFNET.
I guess he had a forwarding system that was shipping on his mail from
SDSC.Edu to a CERFnet address, which was later invalidated. So the
bounce came back from CERFnet. And I had no idea who it involved. My
question is why bounces like that do not trace back to the real user,
so that we can avoid days of detective work???

       Two more cases from different lists and different countries.
The postmaster at compuserve.com cannot figure out why mail is being
sent to a mailbox that is full, when that user is also NOT on the
list involved.
    I would gather once again that the user is on the list
under a completely different name on a completely different machine,
and is getting his mail forwarded.  Any ideas how automatic tracing
can be done??
(for the tekkies among us, here follows the bounce.  there is no user
100012.674 on the list at all, and the only other users with
compuserve addresses give the list no problems.)