Paul Karagianis <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:22:21 -0400
On 22 Aug 2001, at 11:55, Wayne T. Smith wrote:

>list distributions may take a significantly
>more perverse route through other LISTSERV sites ...
><soapbox>a feature I'd like to be able to disable (without loss of
>CATALIST)</soapbox>.

This feature doesn't need defending but, beyond its intended merits,
it's a serious (fatal I believe) hinderance to the rabid fringe of the
anti-spam crowd who would like to blacklist entire _sites_ that have
the audacity (or "stupidity" as they put it) to operate "open" lists or,
worse, lists with unconfirmed subscription.  This has everything to do
with bullying site admins into protecting trolls from mail-bombing and
zero practical effect against spamming.

I feel that the massive loss of reliability that e-mail has sustained
over the last 3 or 4 years due to the efforts of this subset of the
anti-spam crowd completely overshadows any problems caused by the spammers,
and anything that makes further filtering impractical is inherently good.

That said, why can't you set "distribute= direct"?

                                                        -Kary