Chris Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 13 Feb 1994 20:00:55 CST
Dear List Owner/Moderator/Editor

I want to thank Eric Thomas for allowing me to post this on your list.
I invite you to read through and respond, especially those who moderate
their lists.

With the growing number of discussion lists on the Internet it is obvious
that electronic exchange of information is becoming a legitimate form of
mass communication.  This raises some interesting questions about the
medium.  We know quite a lot about newspapers, radio and television, but
we know amost nothing about Internet mass communication.

I'd like to ask your indulgence for a few moments to make a small pathway
toward some answers.  I'd like to find out about the editing process on
the Internet.  You are a "gatekeeper." That is, by owning or maintaining
the list, you control a gate through which information is distributed.
Perhaps you exercise some control over what information is passed on, as
a newspaper editor does.  It is about this that I would like to ask some
questions.  Even if you exercise no control over the list, I would like
to ask you to answer those questions relevant to you. Your answers will
be held in strict confidence.

Eric has asked that I remind you to PLEASE RETURN THIS TO ME, NOT TO
THE LIST.

I am a graduate student in journalism at the University of Missouri.
Results of the survey will be submitted as an academic paper.  I
sincerely appreciate your help. If you would like a copy of the resulting
paper, please e-mail me a separate message.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Chris Allen <[log in to unmask]>

QUESTIONAIRRE

 1.  What is the main purpose of your list? (Choose the answer that
     best fits)
     a.  Discussion of technical information
     b.  Discussion of an area of study (academic)
     c.  Discussion of an area of interest
     d.  Distribution of information only -- no discussion

Answer: ______

 2.  What is the topic of your list?

 3.  How far from the main purpose does discussion generally range?
     a.  Very far -- discussion is not limited to the purpose.
     b.  Somewhat far -- discussion should be related to the purpose.
     c.  Not far -- limited discussion of related issues is allowed
     d.  Not at all -- discussion is restricted to the purpose.

Answer: ______

 4.  Do you ever delete messages before they are distributed?

     _____ Yes     _____ No

 5.  Do you ever halt a line of discussion?

     _____ Yes     _____ No

 6.  Please give the reason(s) you altered or deleted the last three
     messages sent for distribution on your list, if you have indeed
     altered or deleted any.

 7.  Please give the reason(s) you halted a line of discussion on your
     list, if indeed you have halted a line of discussion.

 8.  How many subscribers did your list have when you started?

 9.  How many subscribers does your list have now?

10.  In any one week, on the average, how many messages were posted to
     your list when it started?

11.  In any one week, on the average, how many messages are posted to
     your list?

12.  How long has your list been in operation?

13.  How long have you been owner or moderator of your list?

14.  Have you had any background in (pick the best response):
     a.  Journalism
     b.  Inrmation management systems
     c.  Communications
     d.  Libraries
     e.  Haven't had background in any of those.

     Answer: ______

  Your comments:

  Once again, thank you very much for your help in answering this
  survey.  I appreciate your patience.