Keith Trimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Apr 1993 02:54:52 PDT
On Wed, 14 Apr 1993 00:00:48 +0200 Automatic digest processor said:
>Date:    Tue, 13 Apr 1993 12:50:38 -0500
>From:    Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Ownership designation
>I don't know why it's happening, but the same thing started happening to
>me a month or so ago.  It seems to have something to do with the 'reply'
>command on certain people's systems.

Excuse me for being frank, but if you don't know why this is happening, then
you haven't been paying attention...

> Most people's list mail is still
>being posted normally when they use reply, but I have to repost replies
>for a few people, because they come to me as listowner.

And have you explained to your subscribers why this might be necessary for
some of them?

>Interestingly,
>I've noticed that this has not happened with a single .edu address.  The
>people with problematic systems are all at .com addresses.  All I can figure
>from that is that universities have better systems people than the outside
>world has.  :-)
>   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])

Get real!
I have most certainly had this problem with .edu addresses!  *MY* biggest
problem (in spite of my Admnistrivia posting along these lines, specifically
aimed at subscribers at the Library of Congress (mail.loc.gov -- note
extension!) announcing DUALHDR has resulted in not one such subscriber
changing his/her option).  Combining this with Glee's post, I would suggest
that you (as am I) are dealing with systems that convert/ignore "return-path"
v. "reply-to"...  incorrectly!

In other words, the mail I've received lately from LC subscribers has indicated
that, until a few weeks ago (header is stripped from what they are "allowed"
to see, but is saved elsewhere), until 3-4 weeks ago, list mail said it was
from "mail.gaylibn5" but now says it's from "mail.ownerga1" and they don't
know to which address they should respond...

I've tried to explain that what they really need to do is junk a shitty
mail system, but...  But, hey, this is the Library of Congress, after all,
so I do my best to accomodate them...  In the meantime, I have instructed
those who have asked directly to use the "old address of mail.gaylibn5
rather than the 'new' address of mail.ownerga1" when attempting to reply to
messages on the list...

I could go on, but shouldn't need to here...
kt