Perrine Crampton <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 May 1996 14:51:28 EST
Gang,

I need some urgent assistance. The eWorld Listserv site is having
SERIOUS problems and their technical support people can't seem to figure
out what the problem(s?) is (are?).

Here's some detailed info on the Listserver, the platform and version:
> release
LISTSERV-TCP/IP for unix version 1.8b, managed by:

Master nodes file version:   96/01/08 16:36:13 (VERS9601)
NJE peers file version:      96/05/17 16:32:51
Internet peers file version: 96/05/07 03:11:16
Service file version:        96/05/01 11:54:24 (VERS9605)
Running under:               HP-UX A.09.04

> show hardware
CPU model: 9000/887

> show license
License type:    Permanent
Expiration date: None - perpetual license
Capacity:        Unlimited
Version:         1.8b
Serial number:   APPLE-3
Build date:      27 Nov 1995

> show stats
[log in to unmask]  is  a backbone  server  running  version 1.8b  of
LISTSERV-TCP/IP for unix under HP-UX A.09.04. There are 13716 jobs still to
be processed and 24 held jobs waiting  to be released. The average CPU time
used by LISTSERV is 5.4%. Since LISTSERV  was last rebooted (on 20 May 1996
at 15:39, ie 19h10 ago), the following requests have been processed:

- Interactive messages from users    None
- Postings to distribution lists     1020 (133947 recipients)
- DISTRIBUTE jobs (internal)         1984
- DISTRIBUTE jobs (from network)      336
- Other incoming files               3073

The thing that really worries me is this line from the show stats:
"There are 13716 jobs still to be processed and 24 held jobs waiting  to
be released." =:-O

The complaints are as follows:

1.  Listserv commands sometimes move through very rapidly, but some posts are
    arriving days late, others are arriving within a few minutes.

2.  Postings not making it to the list.

3.  Listowner Listserv commands never taking place (No rejection, no 'you messed
up' messages back from Listserv. NOTHING. NADA. ZIP.)

I think we have a SITE-WIDE problem with the eWorld Listserv and/or their
sendmail software.

The eWorld Listserv mail has been really, REALLY unreliable for the past two
weeks. Owner commands don't take place in a reasonable amount of time
(or just get 'lost'), subscribers' messages do the exact same thing.

BEFORE (more than two weeks ago), this slow delivery (sometimes 'NON
delivery') just affected the subscribers, now it's grown to include the
owners of lists at eWorld! =:-O

This has been going on for quite some time now. I know the disk space
was increased. Is there a Listserv or SENDMAIL software fix, patch or
upgrade that can be installed to fix these REALLY inconvenient
problems?! Please?

This is a cry for HELP from ALL the Listserv listowners at eWorld!