Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 04:22:13 EST
On Fri, 2 Nov 2001 20:44:39 -0700 Ben Parker said:
>The 'lines' in question refer only to the number of storage records
>consumed and have nothing whatever to do with the count of some number 'L'
>of arbitrary length character strings that just happen to be terminated
>with the special byte pair of 'CRLF'.

While I agree that in most cases LISTSERV won't be messing with the
text in the e-mail (an exception being when the Long-Lines keyword is
used (which specific function is to break long lines!)) I must point
out that at least on my system things simply do not occur as you state.

I assure you, the following quoted text:
"This
is
6
lines long,
not
only one."

WILL be counted by LISTSERV as 6 lines.  LISTSERV does indeed count
"...arbitrary length character strings that just happen to be terminated
with the special byte pair of 'CRLF'."   At least on my systems!

Bill
City University of New York Computer Center